About Our School
Salam Weekend School’s educational process seeks to instill in each student the desire and competence to learn and to interpret, apply, and integrate his or her knowledge of Islam. In this process, the faculty is a source of knowledge and provides the leadership, guidance, evaluation, help, and inspiration. Education at this school seeks to preserve the general and cultural character of the Muslim community. In an effort to provide the atmosphere and facilities necessary to fulfill this goal, the faculty has accepted the following objectives:
- To help students fashion their Islamic commitment by providing courses in Quranic studies, Islam studies, and Arabic language studies.
- To help students practice Islamic values, manners, morals, and ethics by creating an atmosphere suitable for them to do so.
- To direct students in their quest for knowledge of Islam by: (a) the skillful use of tools of communication by means of writing, speaking, and creative expression; (b) reasoning and analyzing constructively in various independent and teacher-directed classes and activities; and (c) making use of a wide variety of instructional experiences such as videos, films, lectures, etc.
- To establish cooperation between parents and teachers, by creating open lines of communication through the school website, progress reports, conferences, and written messages.
Salam Weekend School shall adhere to the following curriculums, or courses of study to be used as a guide for instruction. Please note that these curriculums are subject to adjustment in order to enhance students’ learning experience and success.
- Quranic Studies
- Classes will focus on three aspects in regards to all ages and all levels: (a) reading (if applicable), (b) memorization (top priority) & (c) general understanding (supplementary).
- Islamic Studies
- Classes will focus on the following texts regarding their respective age group:
- Elementary Boys/Girls (Grades K-5) – Students will follow the “I Love Islam” textbook series along with supplemental materials that students will be given.
- Middle/High Boys/Girls (Grades 6-10) – Students will follow the “I Love Islam” textbook series along with supplemental materials that students will be given. The Yaqeen Institute curriculum will be used for high school.
- Arabic Studies
- Classes will focus on three aspects in regards to all ages and all levels: (a) reading (priority), (b) writing (secondary), and (c) speaking (supplementary). Students will follow the Noorani Qa`ida curriculum along with supplemental materials the students will be given.
- Advanced Arabic Students will follow the “Iqra’ Arabic Reader” textbook series along with supplemental materials that students will be given.